home beginners cvs publix walgreens grocery deals restaurants publicity

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008

As you know I am concerned about this new Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008. Our government is treating children's products with the same safety precautions it takes to buy a gun. I do not find children's clothing and toys to be as big a threat as terrorists, knives, and other of these types of weapons.

I appreciate two blogs/websites highlighting our concerns for this new act.


If you are interested in writing your congressman or woman, Here is where you can find their contact information. It took me no more than 5 minutes to write my two senators. If you live in Florida, go Here and Here.

I have copied and pasted a great letter for your senator from Being Particular.

RE: Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008

Dear Senator or Congressman,

It has come to my attention that a law passed last Fall designed to protect America's children from lead in toys is about to take effect and when that happens, thrift stores and clothing recycling centers such as The Salvation Army, Goodwill Stores and private clothing sales will no longer be able to re-sell used childrens' clothing. Please, I urge you to act swiftly to rectify the unintended consequence of this piece of otherwise acceptable legislation.

Our government should absolutely not be in the business of squelching the entrepreneurial spirit of American business and should never make it more difficult for citizens to support the causes of charitable giving and recycling, especially in a time when the economy is being stretched and the global waste concerns are alarming.

I realize that this is not earth-shattering legislation but I can assure you that as a parent of young children, thrift store shopping and second-hand sales are vital to this American family. Please correct the referenced oversight as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Even if you are without kids or have kids that are grown, someday soon it could be something you care for.

And though you might not be able to tell from my aggravation about this new law, I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN and I believe citizens can make changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link. Maybe if the word spreads enough about this issue, it will help!