home beginners cvs publix walgreens grocery deals restaurants publicity

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Taco Pie


For those of you who are into watching the deals at Publix, you are well aware that the Old El Paso dinner kits are often B1G1 and coupled with a coupon you can get these kits for less than $.50. This meal is cheap, easy (one pan), freezable, and relatively healthy.
.
You need:
-vegetables
-shredded cheese
-a can of beans
-a dinner kit (I recommend the soft shell dinner kit)
-optional: meat/tofu/chicken (1 lb.)
.
Directions:
1. Saute in a big skillet: onion, 1 lb. meat (I omit this part), lots of vegetables that are hanging out in your fridge (I have used broccoli, squash, tomatoes, zucchini, corn, edamame, peppers, etc.)
2. Add the powder seasoning packet to the cooking meat/vegetables. Saute until vegs. are soft and/or meat is done.
3. Open a can of beans (I use black but any will do) and stir in about half the can.
4. Cover all of it with the soft taco shells (tear as necessary to make them fit).
5. Open the liquid sauce packet and squirt half of it on top of the tacos. Top with remaining beans and then shredded cheese (as much as you want).
6. Cover all of it again with the soft taco shells, then rest of sauce packet, then cheese.
7. Put a lid on the skillet, turn the heat down to low, and let the cheese melt.
.
Thank you, Marie for sharing this budget conscious meal. If you have a frugal friendly meal to share, email me so I can share it with our readers.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Hi Ashley! I am so excited to share a recipe that I made tonight using chicken and all of the ingredients I had in my pantry ( and I have only been a faithful follower for 3 wks). The only ingredient I had to buy was the mushrooms and I eliminated the sherry. My hubby and I loved it and all 4 of my kids did too (even the 6 year old who usually eats NOTHING except mac and cheese and hot dogs)!

This recipe from CDKitchen for American Chicken Noodle Casserole serves/makes 8

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked chicken, diced-I used bone in chicken breast in the crock pot for 4 hours and shredded the meat....

1/2 pound egg noodles
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup milk or light cream (I used the milk)
1 1/2 cupchicken broth
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 tablespoons sherry


Directions:

Preheat oven to 350F.

Cook egg noodles in boiling water according to package directions. Drain, rinse in cold water and drain again.

In a skillet, melt butter in olive oil. Saute onion, garlic and mushrooms until lightly golden. Stir in flour until absorbed. Gradually pour in chicken broth and milk or cream, while stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat egg yolks lightly. Stir in a few tablespoons of the mixture from the skillet to temper the eggs so they won't scramble, then add the egg and broth mixture to the skillet along along with remaining ingredients. Mix well.

Transfer to a large, buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with dots of butter, Parmesan cheese and buttered breadcrumbs (optional).

Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown.


ENJOY!
kcmpb5 from Spring Hill