home beginners cvs publix walgreens grocery deals restaurants publicity

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Internet Safety


I received an email from a reader this week. She reminded me of the need to be extra careful to avoid scams online. I utilize lots of links to other offers, deals, coupons, and pages, and it is important for me to know that I am careful in the information I provide. My posts and offers are things I have researched, joined myself, or even places that I have received checks/points from. I do not promote things that I come to find are scams, etc. I do admit that sometimes in couponing, I find myself cornered into a website that doesn't seem legit (with all the flashy advertisements, links etc sometimes found on coupon websites.) It is during this time that I close my browser and start fresh.
...
I just wanted to offer you guys some Internet Safety Reminders
...
Reminders
.
1) NEVER give a survey company your credit card/debit card number. These places can and will send checks directly to your home.
.
2) Research the places yourself. I am simply another human being offering you deals that I have found around the Internet. Because one thing might work for my family, doesn't mean it is right for yours.
.
3) If you gut doesn't feel right about the offer, then don't do it.
.
4) Watch your credit/debit card. The minute you see a questionable charge, call and question it. It is usually better to call the place that charged you BEFORE you call the credit card company. I check my credit/debit card regularly and only once have I seen a charge I didn't agree with. It was a charge of a company I signed up for when I bought something. Luckily these charges usually show up during the "trial" period stage and I was able to void the charge before my "trial" period ended.
.
5) Use a "coupon" email address. I have two email addresses (well three including the website email address) - one for couponing, one for personal use.
.
6) When you do sign up for a trial offer, write the date that you need to cancel the trial down in 2 places. A calendar on your cell phone or even a wall calender are great places that I personally utilize. I always call to cancel around 4 days in advance.
.
7) If it looks to good to be true, it likely is.

No comments: