home beginners cvs publix walgreens grocery deals restaurants publicity

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Easy and Cheap Pumpkin Soup

We had this recipe this week and I loved it! This recipe in my home was a reason of why it pays to stockpile. People wonder how I eat dinner on my tiny shopping list that doesn't have much substance. Read below why this recipe was so cheap in my home this past week.
.
The ONLY thing I had to buy was an onion. I had pumpkin cans left over from Fall when I got them for less than $.20, the spices/butter I had, I had corn stockpiled in a can (50% less sodium which made me happy) for around the same price as the pumpkin, I made the chicken broth with a bullion cube, and I had frozen Pillsbury dinner rolls from a huge sale with a nice coupon (maybe around $1.00?)
.
See why it pays to stockpile? This recipe cost me the price of an onion!
.
Easy Pumpkin Soup
.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup onion - chopped
3 T butter
2 C canned pumpkin (I used 2 cans to make it creamier)
1 t salt
1 T sugar
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ground pepper
3 C chicken broth
1/2 C half and half ( I skipped this and it was fine)
Optional: kernel corn (white or yellow - I used this and it was great)
.
Directions:
1) Chop onions and gently brown in butter in stockpot. (If you add corn, put it in with the onions and butter.)
2) Stir in mashed pumpkin and add salt, sugar, nutmeg and pepper.
3) Slowly add chicken broth & heat thoroughly; but do not boil.
4) To serve, pour into soup tureen (or individual bowls) and add the cream on top.
.
Makes 4-6 medium servings
.
It's really good served with some kind of artisan bread or Parmesan toasts!

No comments: