home beginners cvs publix walgreens grocery deals restaurants publicity

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Gift Basket Ideas

A reader wrote me asking for what to do with her overload of "stuff." Of course, charities are always what I promote but I have done other creative things with my additional stockpile items.
.
New Home Basket - litterally this was a basket. I picked up a small basket from the dollar store (smaller than a laundry basket) and put items that were perfect for a neighbor that moved in two doors down. Some of the items included plug-ins, candles, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, etc. I also added a patch of cookies with this basket.
.
New Baby Basket - When I have extra baby items around the house, a new baby basket it alwasy great. What new mother doesn't need baby wash, lotion, diapers, wipes, etc. These are things you can use over when you have 2nd, 3rd, 4th...children
.
A Food Basket - While, I have not done this one, Mercedes at Common Sense with Money has (Mercedes, I think it was you.) She had someone in the community loose their house to a fire - she used her extra grocery items to give to this family who was starting again from scratch.
.
A Teacher Basket - Do you have extra packs of pens, markers, tape, even fabric or ribbon. You woudl never believe what teachers can do with your excess stockpile. While, I do not have a school bound child, I have given my fellow teachers things as small as pens and papers - teachers love new things. There is a lot they pay for each school year out of pocket.
.
Stockings (I have created these at Christimas, but why not choose another holiday, perhaps upcoming Easter baskets) - our Christmas stockings (growing up) were always filled with toiletries. This year, I asked my mom if I could be in charge of family stocking this year and I was able to give the family everything from razors, to scotch tape, to deotorant, you name it!
.
A Stockpile Swap - Perhaps getting your friends together to exchange their excess stockpile items. You might be in need of a razor but might have laundry detergetn you can exchange for it.
.
Host a Recipe Night - This could make for a fun girls evening. Over the holidays, girlfriends and I got together to create pretzel sticks for neighbors gifts (excess stockpile was used.) We also spoke of, but never did, getting together for canning homemade tomato sauce from all of our excess cans of diced tomatoes. Do you have too many taco kits in your pantry, host a Mexican night and make it a fun girls night in (or even out for later!)
.

No comments: